I always kind of feel like September brings a new year. This has been a year full of updates and maintenance both for my home and for my software. This year I had to replace my hot water heater, have some rotting trim and all the grouting outside replaced and the whole house pressure washed, the decks and fence pressure washed and sealed, and the trim repainted. There have been a lot of smaller items, and yesterday I just got an old builder’s grade toilet replaced in one of my small bathrooms for a nice new one. I still have to replace the weatherstripping around my front door, but that should be all for the house for a while, I hope.
The amazing thing is how well this restored my decks (I have two). I was thinking before all of this that I might need to replace it, but it looks fantastic, almost like new. I have enjoyed getting out there every day the weather permitted since the deck was restored. Sometimes my grandson has gone out there and done some reading also. He started to school yesterday, but he still comes here after school. This is good.
In anticipation of my fall sewing and quilting now that school has started, I first updated my website, adding a little store to sell my quilts, books, and other items from. Additionally, I have been updating my software. I started by installing Windows 10 and made sure it works with everything, and then I took advantage of a really good deal on the new Corel Painter 16 software update. This adds quite a few interesting new brushes and other things, plus it allows me to use all those Dover brush stamps that I have for Photoshop in Painter now. I like that a lot. Painter is the main design software I use so it is important to take advantage of these major advances.
All this updating made me realize that I was at an excellent spot in my sewing and quilting plans to update the firmware on my Bernina 830 LE, which I did. Everything is working well so far (knock on wood).
So the other day I did a little exploration of some of the decorative stitches on my 830. Most of the ones I tried are new, but not all of them. Here are some pictures of the test samples:
Stitch number 713, which was there all along, is the stitch I should have used when I was trying to get a Sashiko like stitch for my border on Kanazawa Memories. I still think it would have stretched, and I would have finished it like I did, but I’ll know next time. These little samplers are going in my notebook.
All of this updating, plus a very expensive dental/oral surgery thing, are the reasons you won’t see me at a quilt show for a while. I’m not sure just how long, but I am content. I have all these wonderful design programs and machines to play with at home with a fully stocked stash of fabrics, threads, paints and beads. It will be fun to see what I can do with all of that.
Sew happy everyone!!! Updating can be a good thing, though it may be a little stressful from time to time. You might be surprised at how well things work and find some new treats as you get them finished. Cheers.