I am going to take the second batch of my quilts out to G Street Fabrics in Rockville, Maryland, for the second part of the exhibit of my quilts. This exhibit, which runs from mid July until the end of August or so, includes nearly all my show quilts except for Pendragon, Dad’s House plan, this year’s Hoffman Challenge still on tour, and a couple I have sold or given away. They will be displayed throughout the store, including those that are already there in the Bernina department. I also have completed one new quilt and nearly finished a second new quilt just for this exhibit. Some of these quilts are available for purchase. I will (really) post photos of the exhibit sometime in the latter half of July.
Sew here is where I’m at on the preparations. I have completed the second one of my Alfred Shaheen panel quilts and named it “Tropical Garden”. I used a lot of Superior’s new 100 weight polyester thread called Microquilter on both that quilt and the “Field of FLowers” I hope to finish by Friday to include in the exhibit.
A Review of Microquilter Thread
When I won all thirty colors of Superior’s Microquilter 100 weight polyester from Superior Threads, I was really thrilled. I use almost more 100 weight threads than I do any other thread. I use it for background quilting, detail thread sketching on things like flowers and line drawings, and I also love it for machine applique. I do not use it for piecing or bobbins.
I found it a wonderful workable thread. I tried it in my Bernina Q20 sit down longarm, my Bernina 830 LE, and my Bernina 350. In every case I had to lower the top tension to keep it from breaking, just as I do for silk 100 wt and monopoly. It worked beautifully without further adjustment in everything but the Q20. For that, I had to lower the bobbin tension also (I used it with Bottom Line in the bobbin, though I did try one bobbin with the Microquilter). I found surprisingly that the Superior top stitch needle size 80 worked better than a smaller needle that I use for monopoly and silk. So here is how I ended up setting up my Q20 (Fritz) if you have one:
- I have found my Q20 works better with a Magic Bobbin Genie sized for M bobbin. I just put it in over the spring in the bobbin. Without it, I have some thread nests on the bottom of my quilt when I get going really fast, and believe me, the Q20 can go REALLY fast.
- I set the bobbin tension with Superior’s Bottom Line or the Microquilter itself for 180 using the tension guage that came with my machine. If you use the Microquilter in your bobbin don’t wind it full. It works better a little less…starting at about 3/4 full. In the course of making two quilts, I used both Bottom Line that I wound and some prewound Superior thread bobbins that use Bottom Line.
- I set the top tension for 125
- I used a size 80 Superior top stitch titanium needle.
- I used BSR1 set at 280 speed for tiny little stippling and 200 for slower tiny bubbles
- This setup makes it work like a dream…no nests, no hangups, no tension problems
I will provide some pictures of my quilting with Microquilter as soon as I get them taken. I am behind in getting my quilts photographed.
I got my little personal app quilt home that was a part of Road to California’s traveling exhibit of app quilts. It has lost about six hot fix crystals out of hundreds, so I need to replace them by Friday. I have one quilt that needs washing and reblocking, which I will do today. I have several more stumpwork butterflies to make for the Field of Flowers and I have to put the rod pocket and label on it. I think I can make the Friday deadline on this one, since the actual quilt is complete and bound. I even have the silver spider charm on the spider web part of that quilt. Here’s the dragonfly that is ready to go onto the quilt already. It’s in parts and needs a little additional embroidery after attachment where the wings attach to the body. I will do turned edge applique of the body and hide the wing wires under that. I will also probably darken the little white edges of the sheer to match the stitching. I may even do a hand blanket stitch over the edges if I decide it needs it. The first picture shows the pieces after stitching, and the second picture shows the dragonfly together ready to applique on.
And I also need to ship “Pendragon” to AQS this week. I want to do a little gold paint touch up on the border paint before I ship it.
So I have a really busy week ahead of me, but it’s an exciting time. I am enormously pleased that G Street has asked me to show my quilts in the exhibit there. It is a real honor. I hope you have a chance to see it. The whole show will be available in mid-July. I’m not sure of the exact dates, so you might want to call them before you head there.
Sew happy everyone! Teach someone to sew or quilt…yourself, you cat, your dog…your son. Until next time!