This will be the last blog post I write on making Ken’s special quilt until it is completed, and probably until after it has been debuted at some show in order to keep it for a surprise, but I wanted to tell you how I was solving the border problems. I will write the posts, but not publish them until then. I will, of course, continue writing blog posts about other topics.
I have been kind of concerned about whether or not I could get the border right for the quilt my son Ken designed for me. It uses complex Celtic knots and designs.
So this week I managed to get all but one of the corners digitized and tested to stitch in-the-hoop at my Bernina 830 LE (Gibbs). While working in the embroidery module, Gibbs rebelled over most of my gold metallic threads, finally accepting Superior metallic. With some testing and fussing with tensions and needles, coupled with slowing way down to nearly the slowest speed, it decided to stitch out my designs without any further tantrums. But I don’t much like the way the thread looks, so I am going to test some near-metallic colored threads.
After all, this is the outline for painting the design with Setacolor gold paint and finishing with Setacolor Gold Glitter Finish. I have used these paints for several years now on my show quilts and they are permanent once dried and heat set. I’ve even washed them with success. The glitter may need a little refreshment after a couple of years of shipping, folding, showing, folding, shipping, but the underlying gold stays solid and most of the glitter is still there even so. I’m fairly certain with ordinary hanging in one’s home or office, and an occasional light vacuuming with a cheesecloth over the end of the vacuum hose, these paints will last for decades.
This is my first test of stitchout 1…small right corners. Here you can probably see that I have only half of the block finished with glitter paint for comparison. It seems the right finish to me. But I am not happy with the metallic threads here.
My biggest problem was getting the long designs on the border that were too big to fit into a hoop and that I thought were too exacting to manage a good multi-hooping of the many hoops required. So I decided to see if I could get the outline stitching done with good marking and free motion/ruler work on my new sit-down longarm Bernina Q20 (Fritz).
Fritz is a dream. Fritz does not dislike any of my metallic threads. Neither does Gibbs, for that matter, if it isn’t working in-the-hoop. But I practiced on Fritz this time in non-metallics. Oh my….I set it up in BSR2, which Bernina recommends for ruler work. Using 7 of Lisa Calle’s wonderful rulers, I have done some practice work. While I need more practice, I am fairly certain by now that I can make these border pieces. I have found that Fritz can place each stitch where I want it…it will slow way down, work at higher speed, stop when I stop and start when I start, and all controlled only by how I move the fabric when it’s set on BSR2. I will note that this can also be done at most any sit-down sewing machine, although perhaps not as easily.
I am pre-stitching the designs, not quilting them in. I will quilt them after sandwiching the quilt, and will use either Superior’s monopoly or 100 weight silk matching the backgrounds. This will provide further definition to where the design goes over and under to make the Celtic knots.
So I starched and then backed my test pieces with my favorite stabilizer for embroidery (for that is what this is). That is Madeira Cotton Stable, which has a light fusible on it, and is 100 percent cotton. Thereby no hooping is necessary. This stabilizer can either remain in the border or tear out. I usually tear out most of it and don’t worry about getting absolutely everything before sandwiching.
The top corner design was done with Gibbs in the hoop and then painted. The lower left and right designs were done using rulers and the Bernina #96 ruler foot with Fritz and then painted. I left unpainted some of the stitching on the lower left so you can see how it looks before painting. It needs practice.
I still have to complete the digitizing of the one big upper left block, and when I finish and test that, and dye my PFD Radiance a dark green (which kind of makes me nervous, but they don’t make it the color I want), I will FINALLY be ready to start actually making the quilt top.
This is progress, though it kind of doesn’t seem like it since I haven’t actually started assembling the real quilt yet. But the time I’m taking to work everything out beforehand I will mostly gain back when I make the quilt and know exactly what to do each step along the way. 🙂
Sew happy everyone! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. God’s blessings.